Monday, September 23, 2024

Writing for a non-academic audience - how to teach vocational education

 I chanced on a book review of my book published in 2020, 'Identity, pedagogy and technology-enhanced: Supporting the processes of becoming a tradesperson'

The author provided good overview of the book and relevant feedback. That the book was academic in nature and difficult to access if one was a practitioner. This reminded me of an blog written in 2015 (yikes, almost 2 decades ago) on the reasons why I wrote journal articles. In the blog, there was a reminder to write for the audience and the importance of writing to inform practitioners!

My original plans were always to follow up the 2020 book with a practitioners' guide. However, other events, the pandemic (leading to the book - digitally enabling learning by doing), the reform of vocational education in Aotearoa (co-editing reshaping vocational education), and then the emergence of AI (book in peer review) meant my energies became diverted to other projects.

Therefore, it is important to keep the need to write for a non-academic audience, as a priority on my list of things to do. Firstly to find a publisher and secondly, to investigate the best format that will appeal to the readers. 




No comments: